Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Freaks and Film Geeks

I was asked by a good friend of mine to share 10 movies that I thought she should definitely watch right away. I imagine this could provide some insight on my taste and fulfill my need for film talk prior to my listing of my top 10 favorites of the year. If you haven’t seen these, definitely do so. Very dope flicks! Enjoy.

Disclaimer: by no means is this a list of my favorite movies of all time. More so along the lines of highly recommended.

(No particular order)

Chameleon Street – One of my favorite movies ever! Not necessarily because it’s great, which in a technical sense it isn’t, but more so because of what it represents. The invisibility of black, quality cinema in America, which will be evidenced by its difficulty to find! Famous for its sampled conversation on Black Star’s “Brown skin lady”, this film took home the Grand Jury Prize in 1990’s Sundance film Festival…. Yet, no one knows what it is!

Rodger Dodger – Campbell Scott plays one the smoothest cats I’ve ever seen on the big screen. Some of the greatest dialogue I’ve come across. It is probably on my “top 5 favorite characters in a movie ever” list.

Requiem for a Dream – Dark and Druggy!! What can I say, it’s Orgasmic…

Oldboy – Let’s just say, in preparation….. Its official, Spike lee is set to direct the American remake. I love Spike to death but it will be very difficult to improve on this classic!

Amores Perros – This movie is the definition of what type of movies I’d make! Non-linear, intertwining stories and a little social commentary to go with it.

Synechdoche, New York – Written and directed by Charlie Kaufman… Typically considered slow and boring, but in my opinion, quite the opposite. You’ll have to put on your thinking cap for this one.. I would have loved to write this!

The Orphanage (El Orfanato) – One of my favorite horror films!

Magnolia – Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, who in my opinion is a FUCKING GENIUS! “Boogie Nights”, “There Will Be Blood”, and “Punch-Drunk Love”…. This guy is spitting out classics. Magnolia is probably considered his weirdest, but is definitely my favorite.

The Believer – When brilliant goes bad! I’m a sucker for movies with really intelligent lead characters. Here, Ryan Gosling is just that, brilliant and reckless! This movie initially sparked my interest in Gosling, whom I now think will be one of the greatest ever.

In the Bedroom – 3 words… Dating Older Women.

Peace

-MaDBlacK

2 comments:

  1. Like the list, especially The Orphanage. This movie hasn't been exposed to average movie goers yet and probably never will.


    The Believer made me a believer in Ryan Gosling; whom is the best actor right now hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words about my client's film, Chameleon Street. I shared this post with him and he was delighted.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete