Monday, November 7, 2011

Music or Lose It

I cleaned out my car a few days ago and to my surprise realized that my CD books were in disarray. So I decided to reorganize them and only leave out the five most consistently played CDs outside of the 2 CD books that I have in my car to prevent having to flip through them while driving. Below is a list and a few jotted thoughts about said CDs. Let me start by saying that if you haven’t listened to any of these albums please do ASAP. They’re all high quality opuses though a disclaimer is necessary. I’d prefer not to call them anything other than “albums currently in heavy rotation” because I’m not sure if my “albums of the year list,” or any other type of list for that matter, would contain any of these. I sure a few of this will make some other list of mine, but am not 100% sure of that fact yet. Also, one of the five listed albums isn’t new.

I’ve grown a lot as a person in the last few years and am starting to realize that the music I listen to and support needs to reflect that and grow with me. That may be difficult to understand, because honestly it’s difficult to explain. It’s not as simple as now I’m older, so I’m listening to exclusively Jazz and R&B like a lot of folks say, which is definitely not the case. I’m still, without a doubt, a hip hop head. But, I think some artist “Get it” and their content supports that and some don’t. Enjoy!


Kendrick Lamar – Section 80

One of my favorite artists doing it right now. This kid is a damn monster. So refreshing, so original, and so damn funky. Lyrically, Kendrick Lamar exudes passion for people, life, and music and balances the depth that he has as an emcee with Amazing Melodies and a great ear for music. Hop on the bandwagon now because I imagine amazing things from this dude.

The Weeknd – House of Balloons

Dark and druggy R&B. I love that type of shit! This dude is making some really classic shit in my opinion. He will be blowing up soon.

Icebird (RJD2 & Aaron Livingston) – The abandoned Lullaby

I’ve been rocking with RJD2 for quite a while. This is a collaboration effort with him and Aaron Livingston that I was a bit skeptical about originally. Boy was I wrong. I think this will definitely make my album of the year list at this point. I love this album!

Phonte – Charity Starts at home

As an already huge fan of Mr. Coleman, I expected greatness when being informed about his solo project dropping. This album has been on rotation by me harder than the earth’s axis. I love this album. I’ll never understand why this guy isn’t a household name. He’s super talented when it comes to music, but also amazingly charismatic, intelligent, and funny outside of that. Give him a T.V. show!!!

Bilal – Airtight’s revenge

Bilal is one of my favorite singers of all time! A song on this album called “levels” is currently my phones ringtone and this album hasn’t left the rotation since it dropped last year. To label this dude “original” is an understatement of epic proportions. Amazing work!


Peace

-MaDBlacK

No comments:

Post a Comment