Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Goodbye February




It’s difficult to really put my finger on what black history month means to me now. At my age, is it supposed to mean anything? As yet another February sprints by, I question where black history month fits in our society. It’s almost as if it’s just something to say but not regarded with any importance. If you’re not in Jr. High school or below, where a change in curriculum occurs, then black history month isn’t quite the trending topic, so to speak, but merely just a whisper in the background during the shortest month of the year, February. We’re immersed in a culture defined by speed. In which, you’re left behind during moments of reflection, what happened 30 minutes prior is “history,” and no ones work is appreciated until #RIP is placed in front of your name. Seriously, what does black history month represent to a self proclaimed post-racial generation? Where the accomplishments of historical figures are no longer associated with color of skin but maybe more so with being American, where someone is from, or even simply just zodiac signs. Honestly, that doesn’t bother me as much as you may be assuming it does. Technically, i’m a member of the post-blackness generation due to my not having to be as thoroughly equipped defensively in society growing up, as say, my mother and father might have had to be during segration, integration, and blantant racism. I’m the biggest supporter of “can we all get along.” But, still I feel close enough to the harsh times, being a generation away, that reminiscing and learning about what great things people accomplished during amazingly less privileged times is something I look forward to. I think you should too. There’s way too much watching the throne and not enough remembering who attempted to get there first but got denied due to reasons that we’ll never experience. My intention here isn’t to be preachy but merely to point out how often times we’re, including myself, easily distracted. It's scary to think that we’re maybe one generation away from never mentioning some historical figures ever again and possibly even closer to doing away with black history month all together. Let’s be more focused, so I’ll children will have the opportunity to be as inspired by our past as they are unknowingly affected by it.

Goodbye February.

My loving respects to a few great black writers with whom I love and admire… A big Shout Out to Frederick Douglass, W. E. B. Du Bois, Booker T. Washington, James Weldon Johnson, Claude McKay, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale Hurston, Richard Wright, Gwendolyn Brooks, Ralph Ellison, Martin Luther King, Jr., Maya Angelou, Alice Walker, bell hooks, Amiri Baraka, and my favorite, James Baldwin. I love you all!

Peace.
-MaDBlacK

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Freeman on the topic of Black History Month: http://youtu.be/GeixtYS-P3s

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete